This article is regarding Red Faction
The Submachine Gun is one of the 15 player weapons in Red Faction.
Although it's a slightly larger, heavier, and less accurate weapon than the Pistol, the SMG is capable of fully automatic fire with both standard 12mm bulets as well as 5.56mm high velocity armor piercing bullets. During the game you'll often find this particular weapon being wielded by Ultor's elite guard who seem content on showering you with lead at close quarters while relying on their body armor to keep them safe from your counter attacks. The SMG secures its place in the arsenal by being a solid close range weapon somewhere between the Shotgun and the Assault Rifle. There are better choices for general warfare, but it's probably the best fallback weapon in there.
- Ammo/Clip Size: 12mm bullets/30 rounds; 5.56mm high velocity armor piercing bullets/20 rounds
- Range: Short to Medium
- Primary Fire: Fire rounds, automatic
- Primary Velocity: 320 m/s
- Primary Damage: Head shot 50 Hp (Armour 25)
- Alternate Fire: Toggle between 12mm and 5.56mm rounds
- Alternate Velocity: 275 m/s
- Alternate Damage: Head shot 60 Hp (Armour 30)
It is an interesting choice by the designers to allow the weapon to chamber 5.56mm, yet give them a lower magazine capacity than the 12mm rounds. A 12mm round would be of .47 caliber and would make the magazine much longer in visible size than shown in game, and would be larger in diameter than any modern 5.56 x 45mm round. This may indicate that the 5.56mm rounds are of a higher case capacity than current ones, which the name "high velocity armor piercing round" would indicate. It seems to be visually based on the Heckler & Koch MP5K.
- The Submachine Gun is known as the Machine Pistol within the game files, because of it's Machine Pistol special mode.
- It is possibly based off of an MP5 Kurz Submachine Gun.