Creating a Keyframe Trick
|Tutorial: Creating a Keyframe Trick|
|Editing Main Page||Written by: Goober|
This tutorial will walk you through how to create what is commonly referred to as a "keyframe trick"
Keyframe tricks are a requirement to use many events in multiplayer. Keyframe tricks are not required when creating single player levels.
- Create a Delay event to use for your moving group. Note that this doesn't have to be a Delay event - it could be pretty much anything else in the editor that can be put into a moving group, just normal convention is to use a delay event because it's invisible and doesn't do anything without being linked to something.
- Create a group containing the Delay event, and hit the keyframe button to turn that group into a moving group.
- Hit the "keyframe" button a second time for the same moving group, and move this second keyframe away from the first one.
- Go to the properties for each keyframe, and set the "Movement Type" to "Ping Pong Once", and "Departing Travel Time" and "Returning Travel Time" both to 0.00 seconds.
- Select whatever event you're activating with the keyframe trick, and note the object UID. To locate the object UID, look at the RED console in the bottom left hand corner with the event selected.
- Open the properties window of the silver keyframe in your trick, and insert your event's UID into the "Trigger Event with UID" field.
You can download an example keyframe trick here. This group contains the keyframe trick, a trigger door object to activate it, and an example event (shown in green) as a placeholder for any event you need to activate using the trick.