Red Faction Guerrilla FAQ
|This article is under construction at the moment.|
This page provides fixes to commonly encountered issues, and answers to frequently asked questions.
It would be impossible to list absolutely every issue and question that may come up on this page. If you're facing an issue or have a question that doesn't appear on this page, please feel welcome to join the Red Faction Community Discord and ask it. It's extremely likely that someone there knows the answer and would be happy to help you.
- 1 Frequently Asked Questions
- 1.1 Where can I get a copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla?
- 1.2 Will Red Faction: Guerrilla run on my computer?
- 1.3 What's the difference between Red Faction: Guerrilla Steam Edition and Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered?
- 1.4 I have an old disc copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla from when it first came out. Can I activate it on Steam?
- 1.5 Can I play Red Faction: Guerrilla in first person?
- 1.6 Can I make custom maps/levels for Red Faction: Guerrilla?
- 1.7 Where can I find Red Faction: Guerrilla mods?
- 1.8 How can I install and use Red Faction: Guerrilla mods?
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I get a copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla?
Red Faction: Guerrilla is available for purchase as a digital download or physical copy (CD).
Physical Copy (CD):
Will Red Faction: Guerrilla run on my computer?
The minimum recommended system requirements for Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered are listed below.
Official Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Minimum System Requirements
- Operating System: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 (64bit)
- DirectX Version: DirectX 11
- Processor: Intel or AMD Dual Core CPU 2.5 GHz
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Video Card: DirectX 10 Feature Level AMD or NVIDIA Card with 1 GB VRAM
- Storage: 32 GB available space
What's the difference between Red Faction: Guerrilla Steam Edition and Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered?
The key benefits of Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered over the original (Steam Edition) are listed below.
- Reworked graphics, adding specular mapping and other features
- Improved shadow rendering
- Improved lighting engine
- Rework of shader & postprocessing features
- Native 4k support
- Previously multiplayer-exclusive features now available in single player - different sledgehammers, backpacks, and Reconstructor as examples
I have an old disc copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla from when it first came out. Can I activate it on Steam?
Can I play Red Faction: Guerrilla in first person?
Not naively, but two separate methods of swapping RF:G to first person have been developed by the community. They're listed below, and we encourage you to join the Red Faction Community Discord if you have any further questions or would like some assistance configuring these mods.
- First Person Mod-Manager Mod, developed by De-AngryBoi (Re-Mars-tered or Steam Edition): Download for Steam Edition | Download for Re-Mars-tered
- RF:GR Script Loader, developed by moneyl (Re-Mars-tered only): Install guide for Re-Mars-tered
Can I make custom maps/levels for Red Faction: Guerrilla?
Unfortunately, the RF:G level editor (CLOE) was never released to the public. No method currently exists for the community to create custom maps/levels for the game.
Where can I find Red Faction: Guerrilla mods?
FactionFiles.com is the most extensive source of community-made mods and tools for Red Faction: Guerrilla. Some specific categories of community-made Red Faction: Guerrilla files from Faction Files are listed below.
While we try to maintain the most up-to-date list of community-made content at FactionFiles.com, you may also find RF:G mods on other sites, such as Nexus Mods.
Community File Categories:
- Standalone Mods
- Scripts for use with the RF:GR Script Loader
- Mods for use with the RF:G Steam Edition Mod Manager
- Mods for use with the RF:G Re-Mars-tered Mod Manager
How can I install and use Red Faction: Guerrilla mods?
NOTE: We've tried to standardize the distribution format of mods on FactionFiles.com to the greatest extent possible, and this guide assumes you're installing mods from there. These steps may not work for you if you obtained a mod from another source. That being said, RF:G has no built-in mod support to speak of, so it's very difficult to detail a consistent and reliable method of installation for them. If you run into issues using a mod or have questions, it's best to join the Red Faction Community Discord for some assistance.
Installing Standalone Mods
- NOTE: As indicated above, RF:G has no built-in mod support whatsoever. The Mod Manager was developed to help with this, but Standalone Mods (ie. mods that don't use the mod manager) can vary greatly in format. As such, this guide should be seen as just a set of general guidelines. If you run into issues using a mod or have questions, it's best to join the Red Faction Community Discord for some assistance.
- IMPORTANT: Before installing any Standalone Mods that require overwriting core game files (as most do), it is highly recommended that you save a backup copy of any affected files.
- Extract the files included in the standalone mod download to your game data directory and overwrite any existing files (Normally this will be C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Faction Guerrilla\build\pc\cache for Steam Edition, and C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Faction Guerrilla Re-MARS-tered\data for Re-Mars-tered)
Installing Mod Manager Mods
- Download and install the RF:G Mod Manager you need:
- Extract the folder for your Mod Manager-compatible mod to \mods\ under the Mod Manager directory.
- IMPORTANT: Ensure you extract the folder for the mod, not the contents of the folder. .xml files (or other files) for a specific mod need to be in a subdirectory for that mod under \mods\, not directly in the \mods\ folder itself.